3 Cups Flour
¼ Tsp Instant yeast
1¼ Tsp Salt
1½ Cups Water
- Mix the flour, yeast and salt in a bowl. Stir in water to blend. What you are looking for is a wet shaggy, sticky dough. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let stand in a warm area for 12 to 24 hours. It is ready for the next step with the dough is all bubbly.
- Liberally flour a work surface and dump dough onto it. Sprinkle with flour and fold it once or twice. Cover with tea towel and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Using enough flour to keep dough from sticking to fingers, shape the dough into a ball. Sprinkle some flour onto parchment paper and place the dough ball in the center. Cover with plastic wrap and a tea towel and let rest for 2 hours.
- Half hour before baking, heat oven to 450ºF/230ºC. Put a 8 quart dutch oven or cast iron pot into the oven to heat.
- When the dough is ready, get the dutch oven, remove the tea towel and plastic wrap from the dough and drop the dough, parchment paper and all, into the dutch oven. Shake the pot to settle the dough. Cover with the lid and put back into the oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes until loaf is nicely brown.
- Cool on a rack.